Lately I’ve become obsessed with lighting incense in my home, particularly right when I get home from work or when I’m just chilling out doing work. But my incense holder was just a basic flat wooden one, and as cute and practical as it is, I wanted something a little more fun, now that I’ve committed to that incense life! I saw this Free People hamsa incense holder and was super inspired, but didn’t feel like dropping the $48 to buy it… so I decided to make my own version, and show you how too! Follow along for instructions!
DIY Hand Incense Holder
- Draw the design you’re looking to make into an incense holder onto your paper, to be used as a template. I’m making a hand incense holder, so I sketched that out onto my graph paper.
- Cut out your template! Make it as neat as possible, because this is the shape you’re going to cut your Sculpey into.
- Roll your Sculpey into a ball (I decided to mix two colors) and then flatten it out with a rolling pin. You want to keep the clay at least 1/4 inch thick.
- Lightly press your cut out pattern into your flattened Sculpey and then “trace” around the template with the Exacto knife, cutting the shape from the clay. Trim any stray clay so shape is as smooth as possible. (I had extra clay and made a mini incense holder, you can just recycle the excess if you want, or discard.)
- Take your thin nail and insert it into the incense holder where you’ll want your incense stick to go! Make sure to put it in more upright (not at as much of an angle as I did, big mistake), as that’s how the incense stick will angle and you don’t want ash to land outside the holder like mine does. Ooops.
- Follow the instructions on your Sculpey box for how long to bake it; in case you don’t feel like checking again: Bake at 275°F for 15 minutes per 1/4 inch of thickness. I cooked mine a little too long and almost lost a finger (on the clay hand, don’t worry! check that middle guy), so I’d suggest probably around 12 minutes should be okay!!
- Allow the clay to cool; DON’T try to handle immediately, as it’ll be HOT AS ALL HELL and you’ll burn yourself. Also you might accidentally pull a finger off your hand and have to glue it back on with epoxy.
- Insert incense stick of choice, light, and enjoy! Lemongrass is my favorite.
Let me know in the comments below if you try out this DIY~
If anyone is interested, I can make my hand template available for download as well!