As we’ve arrived at a new year, and for many, a proposed “fresh start” (new year, new me, right?), I felt it was only apropos to share a post on how to truly move on. I’m writing this for anyone who has something they want to move forward from, whether it be a relationship (friendship or romantic), a bad job, or just a bad mental place they want to shake themselves out of.
The problem in this day and age is that letting go and moving on from anything isn’t as hard and fast as it used to be. Things don’t just disappear when they no longer serve you, but instead relocate to the recently deleted folder, to the archives, or to the stranger side of a friend request. No, moving forward from something takes a little more now. I decided to reiterate the mindset I talked about here, which I used to get over my loss from my break-in earlier this year, and hope these tips are helpful in general for growing forward/upward/outward.
Tips for moving forward:
- Let yourself feel your emotions. It’s not until you truly allow yourself to become engulfed in something and get to know it by letting it seep into who you are that you’ll be able to break the negative bonds being held, and instead allow yourself to become empowered. So cry, scream, reminisce, or whatever you need to do to familiarize yourself.
- Be kind to yourself. Pamper yourself. Take a mental sick day, or maybe even a week. Come straight home from work and chill in bed with a new Netflix series and some pizza. Treat yourself to a home spa. Whatever it is you decide to do, just move forward with kindness toward yourself.
- Remove what doesn’t serve you. It is so ridiculously tempting to continue to pursue the things that affect us negatively because the thought of being without can be scary. What we often forget though, is that there’s definitely something better for us out there, something that will fit into our lives better. Why would you torture yourself with that crappy job, when moving forward could push you into an even better one?!
- Step away from social media. I think this could be a sub-category under number 3, but, stop creeping on social media. Anyone who knows me in person will laugh that I’m suggesting this, because I’m that person who can and will find something if it exists online; I mean it though! Sometimes you won’t like what you find if you’re looking around on the internet, so just back away from it. It’s probably better to make it a habit of going on social media less anyway, ya know?
- Give yourself a limit. Whether it be a day, a week, or a month; give yourself some time to work through things, but then move forward. It’s important to learn that there’s a difference between getting to know your emotions and just stewing in them. The latter is toxic, and will only create something negative and dark where you want to manifest healing and lightness. Take a break, then onward and upward!
I recently watched Eat, Pray, Love again while I was in Paris, and the main character’s dialogue in a scene about letting go really struck a cord and I think kind of expresses what I’m looking to share:
– “But I love him.”
“So love him.”
– “But I miss him.”
“So miss him. Send him some love and light every time you think about him, then drop it. You’re just afraid to let go of the last bits…because then you’ll be really alone…”
Now meditate on 2016, and release that sucker into the unknown with all the love and light you can muster.