I’ve been seeing turmeric pop up everywhere on blogs and in recipes lately, and considering how healthy it is for you, I’m not surprised! Turmeric (and ginger, actually!) have a special component called “curcumin” that boasts a lot of great medicinal benefits. Curcumin has been shown to:
- aid in chronic inflammation (which can help with gut health sooo much)
- be effective in helping with depression
- lower blood glucose (sugar) levels
- improve skin
- help with overall brain health
- protect against cancer
And that’s not even everything. Crazy, right? Cardamom, coconut oil, and cinnamon also have great health benefits, making this is the superhero of drinks, clearly.
There’s a bunch of different variations for turmeric teas and milks on the internet that I was a little overwhelmed trying to figure out what to do, so I ended up combining a few (basically this one and this one).
Easy Golden Milk Recipe
- 2 c almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp agave
- 1 tsp each: turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, & ginger
- dash black pepper
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, combine your milk and coconut oil
- Add all other ingredients into the pan and stir, allowing to simmer, but not boil over
- Turn off heat and cover, letting sit for a few minutes
- Strain if using fresh ingredients (like I did with ginger), and serve warm!
Super simple! I had read that turmeric can be really bitter, which I hate, but the agave cut that. I found it to be really mild and kind of nutty. While looking, I discovered a few recipes for a golden milk smoothie which I think I’d like to try out next. At any rate, this is so easy there’s no excuse to not add this to my gut inflammation regime 🙂