(contains affiliate links, which keeps TGS running; please see disclosure for more info)
If you’re like me and have an affinity for anything that’ll grow, you know that you can never have too many plants. That said, you must also know that you can eventually run out of space for your green friends and have to get crafty. This is where the hanging plant comes in. There’s a lot of different methods for hanging your plants, but the most popular right now (especially in the boho-style that’s flourishing lately) seems to be the:
macrame plant hanger.
Seriously, take a peek on instagram. Or on Urban Outfitters* (the plant in their photo is definitely thirsty though oops). I know some of the designs look absolutely insane, but I’m gonna teach you how to make a really simple one of your own, so keep reading!
- Take a strand of your string of choice and unravel until around 3 feet, then cut. Repeat 2 more times, then fold the strings in half so you now have 6 strands. (You can do more strands later once you’ve gotten the hang of this, but too many can get confusing at first.)
- Knot the strands together with an overhand loop knot. Now, separate the 6 strands into 3 pairs, and knot them together as well. You should now have what is pictured.
- Separate those strands and pair them with their neighbor strand. Knot them together like pictured! The top and bottom strands should also be tied together where those blue dots are! Your project should now be shaped like a tube of sorts, not quite able to lay out flat.
- Keep alternating knots back and forth between neighbor strands all the way down the length, until you have about two inches from the bottom, then knot ALL the strands together.
- Slip your plant into the macrame hanger and proudly display it!!!
^ (George helping me decide which type of string to work with~)
• Use colored string and clear jars!
• Black string and white pots (or the opposite, hehe).
• Add some beads for a few extra finishing touches.
• Tie the first overhand knot around a metal/wooden ring for a more refined look.
• Hang crystals from the bottom!
• Dip-dye the string for a sweet boho-feel.