I’ve been seeing turmeric pop up in blogs and recipes a lot lately, and considering how healthy it is for you, I’m definitely not surprised! Turmeric (and ginger, actually!) have a special component called “curcumin” that boasts a lot of great medicinal benefits for your body. Seriously y’all, curcumin has been shown to:
- aid in chronic inflammation (which can help with gut health sooo much)
- be effective in helping with depression
- lower blood glucose (sugar) levels
- improve skin
- help with overall brain health
- protect against cancer
And that’s not even everything. Friggin crazy, right? When you put it together with things like cardamom, coconut oil, and cinnamon which also have great health benefits, you end up with the superhero of drinks: Golden Milk.
There’s a bunch of different variations for turmeric teas and milks on the internet that I was a little overwhelmed trying to figure out what to do, so I ended up combining a few (basically this one and this one).
Easy Golden Milk Recipe
Easy DIY golden milk recipe, great for gut healing.Click To Tweet
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, combine your milk and coconut oil.
- Add all other ingredients into the pan and stir, allowing to simmer, but not boil over.
- Turn off heat and cover, letting sit for a few minutes.
- Strain if using fresh ingredients (like I did with ginger), and serve warm!
Adding black pepper to your drink may seem bizarre, but it’s actually the secret to releasing the health benefits in turmeric! Kinda crazy, but super important! Don’t go peppering out of control, just the teeniest dash will do the trick.
I had read that turmeric has a bitter taste, but I found that the addition of the cinnamon made the drink overall very smooth and mild, and utilizing almond milk gave a slight nutty taste. Overall, a pretty enjoyable drink!
(RELATED READ: My Top Holistic Health Hacks)
Have you given golden milk a try??
Let me know in the comments below!