Anyone else kiiind of fed up with this Winter weather? And while it’s great for boosting your immune system, also kind of fed up with the heavy Winter comfort food? I know we’ve only got something like 40 days till Spring, but I’m more than ready for it to head our way with jean jacket weather a little earlier.
Maybe it’s a matter of visualizing the vibe that I truly want to be living right now, but I’ve really been craving something fresh and healthy. I’d never cooked with kale, but after trying it in a salad at my work, I definitely apologize for all my previous hate. I mean, how could I dislike something that’s high in fiber, antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, and full of vitamins?
Adding quinoa to the mix made this dish more filling, but the veggies I chose definitely kept everything pretty refreshing. Let me know in the comments below if this is something you’d try out! I love all your feedback.
• 1 c. quinoa
• 1 chopped red pepper
• whole avocado, cubed
• 1/2 can cannellini beans
• 1 cup kale, de-stemmed
• salt and pepper to taste
** the addition of feta would prob be amazing
• 1 parts lemon juice to 2 parts olive oil
• dash salt
(I just squeezed half cut lemon)
OK let me preface by saying I kind of eyeballed the portions of the veggies, so feel free to add or remove if it’s looking like there may be too much kale/peppers/beans for your liking.
- Add the quinoa to your pot/sauce pan with a drizzle of olive oil, then toast for one minute to bring out extra flavor.
- Pour in the water, a dash of salt, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat to the lowest setting, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, layer your kale, cannellini beans, and peppers in a pan, with1/3 cup water over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes, tossing. You basically want to blanche the veggies, but not overly cook them (I wanted the peppers crunchy). Set aside.
- Once quinoa is cooked (it’ll have absorbed all the water), fluff, and toss together with your veggies.
- Combine with the lemon vinaigrette, then top with your avocado!!
(RELATED READ: easy pancetta summer salad)
[clickToTweet tweet=”#Healthy quinoa salad, featuring kale, avocado, and more. Click over for #recipe:” quote=”Healthy quinoa salad, featuring kale, avocado, and more. Click to share.”]