Lately I’ve been on a full on caffeine bender. Every once in a while I find myself going overboard, and that’s usually when I need to double check what’s going on in my life (hello, why am I trading sleep for double shots of espresso?!?) and re-evaluate. I just told you all in my post on being productive that you need to treat yourself better, so I decided to start doing just that! Step one: find something to replace my coffee with.
I talked about how great matcha is a while back, but totally forgot all about it until I started digging through my kitchen cabinets. It’s a straight up wonder ingredient, so I decided to combine it with some of my other favorite ingredients to make a well rounded power smoothie. This is something that should definitely get you going first thing in the morning, but I could see it being a great afternoon pick-me-up as well.
Power Smoothie Ingredient Benefits:
• Matcha: With half the caffeine of a cup of coffee you’d think consuming this would be a waste, but the way matcha’s molecules work, you’re getting a slow release of caffeine over 6 or so hours. Since you’re not being overloaded all at once, you’re way less likely to experience a crash! Matcha also has the amino acid L-Theanine which is known to be calming while also working to improve alertness.
• Banana: This fruit’s potassium can help lower blood pressure, while the high antioxidants help with heart disease. They also contain tryptophan, which can work on preserving memory, and also boosting your mood!
• Spinach: Dark, leafy greens are known for being amazing for skin and hair health, but spinach has also been linked to cancer prevention. It’s rich in vitamin K, which targets bones and blood health, and high in B vitamins like folate, which target body inflammation! The l-tyrosine in it help boost mental focus. Basically, throw a handful of this in every smoothie you make.
• Chia Seeds: These guys are full of omega-3 and 6 fatty acids which are great for your brain. They’re also full of fiber which helps promote digestive health, boost your metabolism, your energy, all while helping to control your blood sugar.
(* denotes affiliate product, which helps keep my blog running!)
• 2 tsp matcha
(this is what I use*)
• 1.5 frozen banana, sliced
• 1 tsp chia seeds
• 1 handful fresh spinach
• 1.5 cups almond milk
• splash agave for sweetness
1. Combine dry ingredients in blender, then add wet.
2. Blend (I used a magic bullet). Drink. Go get stuff done.