I wanted to make a cheesy joke about how the first time I shopped at Whole Foods Market it was love at first bite, but I couldn’t quite sort the logistics. Either way, if you’ve ever been to Whole Foods, you know what I mean; it’s the Target of grocery stores. You have no idea what healthy food you bought, but you somehow dropped your entire paycheck, am I right? Well they just put the most AMAZING (please imagine me shouting when you read that, but seriously, A-MAZE-ING) Whole Foods store four blocks from my house in Philadelphia and I’ll never have money anymore, but I’m gonna be so dang well-fed.
I think one of my favorite things about shopping there is the salad bar and prepackaged foods up near the check-out area, which are super handy for when I just don’t feel like cooking. The smoked mozzarella salad is my favorite item to purchase (and eat), but I had to give it up when I decided to commit to gluten-free life (is that a hashtag? #glutenfreelife). I decided to recreate it with gluten-free penne, and I’m beyond stoked to share it. The original recipe from the store includes spinach, but I always pick that out so I didn’t include it.
Smoked Mozzarella Salad
• 1/2 lb gluten-free penne
• 1/2 lb smoked mozzarella, cubed
• 1/2 jar roasted red peppers, diced
• pinch each: black pepper & sea salt
• 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
• 1/2 cup canola mayo
• 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
• optional: 2 cups wilted spinach
(I didn’t feel like adding spinach)
- Cook pasta according to directions on box. I’ve found that gluten-free pasta translates kind of weird to al dente (like, it’s a little too al dente), but if that’s how you like your pasta, get down! I used this kind.
- Combine all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl and mix everything thoroughly.
- Enjoy!! 🙂
Let me know below if you recreate this recipe!
Also, if you have any suggestions on gluten-free pasta brands, I’d love to hear!