Two weeks ago I got lucky enough to team up with my friend, yoga instructor Vanessa Jackson, to work on Sun Salutations, or Surya Namaskar, at Bombay Yoga Company. The studio was really open and inviting with a lot of light, and I urge anyone in the Philadelphia area to take a visit!
So why Sun Salutations?
- they express gratitude for the sun, without which life wouldn’t be possible
- they awaken the energy center, your own inner sun, which can warm the body physically & mentally
- speed up the blood flow while putting the mind at ease, which leads to meditation
- help to link the mind and body through breathing, as a moving meditation; putting focus on our breathing can help bring us to the present
- stretch and flex the body, which is good as both a warm up and a stand-alone workout
- standing poses ground you and help you find your center
- are done in the morning after waking, as a way to start the day with intention