Do you ever feel like you’re constantly busy, either working or just on the move, but when you look back to see what you’ve accomplished you’re just… not… sure? You have no idea what exactly you’ve really been doing, but you feel stressed enough that you’re sure it was something? That’s how I’ve felt the last week or so. That’s also when it’s time to take a break. After all, there is no use in being busy if there’s no productivity!
There is no shame in taking a mental health day and recharging your batteries! So if you can, get someone to cover your shift, get a friend to babysit your kid (even for a few hours!), and postpone your tasks for the day. Then, give yourself some much deserved time OFF!! I swear, everything will be there when you go back later.
Everyone recuperates differently, but the basis should be the same: just unplug and unwind enough to give yourself a little mental breather so you can DE-STRESS. Your body will tell you what it’s craving. Sometimes when I’m burnt out all I want to do is binge watch my favorite show (my current guilty pleasure is Jane the Virgin). This time, all I wanted to do with my mental health day was apparently sleep. Usually I feel guilty sleeping in too late and like I’ve wasted the day, but there’s no harm in letting that go every once in a while to fully recharge.
Not sure how you wanna spend your “me” time? Here’s a few of my fave things to do:
- Pamper myself! I mentioned in my last post that I love putting on a face mask and doing my nails when I’m feeling down. (Why not try out my bentonite clay mask?)
- Read. I’m the queen of starting a book and never finishing, but I’ve really been feeling Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance this last week.
- Watch TV/movies. Have you seen the new season of Daredevil? HAVE YOU? Go watch it now. If superhero shows aren’t your thing, I’m also into Jane the Virgin and Girlfriend’s Guide to Divorce (even though… I’m not getting a divorce).
- Hang in the park. Rittenhouse here in Philadelphia is probably one of my favorite places to go when it’s nice out. There’s something so chill about grabbing a book and laying out with it or just people watching.
- Napping. Seriously, sometimes you just need a good nap, you know?
It’s important to remember that you’re number one, and to put yourself and your health first, so make sure you make the time every once in a while for some well-deserved recharge time!
What’re your favorite ways to recharge when you need to?